Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.

Before we get started, my email is still buggered to Brahman and back, so please send any old/new correspondence to stumark@earthlink.net - The management thanks you kindly.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... I just finished reading my 2nd book by Alan Moore, V For Vendetta. This follows on the heels of my reading of Watchmen. I realize I'm incredibly late to the party on these works, but they are tremendous, exciting works of art.

For those who don't know Alan Moore, he writes, among other things, graphic novels. Except these two read like regular novels. In fact, Time magazine put out a list of the top 100 novels of all time and Watchmen made the cut. I would agree, although V For Vendetta was equally good, just a different form. I highly recommend both, and for those who aren't into super-hero type stuff, get V For Vendetta and prepare yourself for a wonderful ride. It's taut, thrilling, at times so astonishing that you'll put the book down for a moment just to catch your breath.

And while I'm making recommendations in the graphic novel medium, let me point out the wonderful 30 Days Of Night. It's a horror tale, but a brilliant one, told in the modern era, a thriller to the last page. Very scary stuff.

I'll probably read a few palette-cleansers next, but after that, I'm not sure what I'll dig into. I may finish the series Y: The Last Man. Been meaning to get to the rest of those.

Next art review: The opening of The B-CAM - LACMA's newest building, dedicated solely to modern art.

1 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Haven't read V or any of those comic novels yet (you beat me to that party) but I caught 75% of the movie version with Natalie Portman and was suprised at how much I enjoyed the performances as well as the movie in general.

I didn't like the violence (I am a passifict at heart, which I am hoping you'll appreciate) but I really thought the emotional and cerebral stuff was fascinating.

Subscribe