Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.

There was a 5.8 earthquake not too far from here (about 35 air miles from our house, maybe closer) - we're fine, but it was, by far, the largest earthquake I've ever felt. The start was like many that we have here - a rumble, as though a very large truck has driven by the house. But then, unlike a truck drive-by, the rumbling continues, at about the same volume, and the vibrations get more intense. Most earthquakes out here in the South Bay are minor, so you get a little vibration, and that's it. The worst one, up until now, was one that felt as though a truck had accidentally backed into the house.

This one was a bit louder, but the vibrations were strong enough and far enough apart to make the waves perceptible. The floor actually rolls, as though your house is on the ocean.

Noe was the only other one home, and she got to her door jamb, which, while not needed, absolutely the sane procedure. I'm so happy that she knows what to do.

Anyway, it was not really scary, at least not until the height of the earthquake, when the anticipation begs the question, "Will this get worse?" - It didn't, so it was a fun little encounter with the tectonic plates that make up the crust of our planet.

I'll be watching the news, as the epicenter was in Chino, where I know some folks. I am hopeful that there was no real damage.

*update - doesn't seem to be any structural damage at the epicenter. Phones are under emergency breakdown at the moment, so I can't reach Nich or Leslie, but my assumption is that their fine. Haven't been able to reach Jim either - I'd be bummed if he heard it on the news first and had any worry before I could reach him.

**update - spoke to Leslie and Nich and both are fine - Nich was in a swimming pool, so he didn't even notice it. Leslie did, but she's lived her long enough where it's fun for her as well. Thanks for all the calls and emails - y'all are sweet as cherry pie.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you and family are OK.

---allen

Suldog said...

First thing I thought of, when I heard the news: How's Stu? Glad to hear everyone is OK!

Subscribe