Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.


An exciting weekend! We went to ChinaTown to do some urban spelunking. Then back home, in time to see lightning near our house (which almost never happens). While standing in our driveway, Leslie and I saw a dog run by, off its leash. We didn't see an owner, so we asked it to come by. It did, and we checked for tags: None. So we gave it water, then put it on a leash and took it for a walk around the neighborhood, to see if it knew its way home. During the walk we learned that it was a boy (by watching him pee), but we learned little else. We knocked on doors, but nobody recognized him. So we sheltered him for the weekend, waiting for Monday to call animal control (not to turn it in, we would never do that, but to see if anyone called in a lost dog report). He was a fantastic dog, sweet, gentle, and nary a whimper or a bark. He got along well with Angel, our Ridgeback mix, but he scared the crap out of Billie, the cat who owns us. So Billie hung out outside and Breather, our guest, stayed inside.

Monday morning came and animal control was open for business. I asked if anyone reported a dog and yay! a dog matching his description was reported. Turns out they live just up the block, and were sweet as pie. Seems he got spooked by the lightning, jumped his fence, and headed downhill. The owner just put on a new collar and forgot the tags. So they came by and picked him up and all was well. Life is a series of wonderful happenstance.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story with a HAPPY ENDING. Helping others ... that's what it's all about.

Now Billie can get back to owning you :)

AWESOME photo of the lightning!!!

Stu said...

Right on, thanks!

Yeah, we're tight with the animals,
'cause that's how we roll.
They give us love
and we put water in the bowl.
Now everyone back up
as we all do the stroll.

Anonymous said...

Good job Stu. My girlfriend's cats were spazzing out over the thunder but they're indoor animals so they were safe. In fact, the only casualty was my girlfriend who got a nice bit of claw-work on her arm from her spazzier cat, India.

We had actually seen the lightening Saturday evening while enjoying the day at the OC Fair. It was still far enough away that we could see it but not hear the thunder. It took about a good fifteen hours for the storm to work it's way down to our neck of the woods.

It was short, but it certainly was a heck of a show.

Stu said...

Thanks, James. It was an awesome adventure and it, yet again, gave me pause to thank G-d for my wife, who is my favorite person to have on these adventures.

Bummer about the claw work, but I would guess that your girlfriend is a bit used to it. We all have our own wounds here, in fact, our son just got tagged this morning, as Billie was a little unhappy with the visiting dog, who was just saying goodbye to her. Fortunately, my son knows the routine, so we just marched to the bathroom for a splash of alcohol. Good times.

I'm the weather geek at our house, so I was watching the storm on radar during the evening. I actually accurately predicted that the rain would blow through in forty-five minutes. Whee, I can read a radar map! For my next trick, I will accurately multiply two three-digit numbers.

As for the show, it was awesome. My wife and I both love storms, and electrical storms are so rare in the South Bay. We were very jazzed to see the spectacle.

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

Subscribe