Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.

It's 11:00 am on Sunday, April 19th and as I type this, our cat, Billie, is climbing our plum tree. Life is a poetry reading, without the beret or the courderoy jacket with the pristine elbow patches.

I'm 42 and pretty ok with things, all considered.

For example, this would have been a work-weekend for Leslie, except her designer got the last-minute work done well before the last minute, so I got to spend time with her. And, to make things better, her designer had flown in from Dallas for the past week's toy fair prep, and with all the work done, he had time for sight-seeing. So we spent Saturday walking the strand in Venice Beach, showing our guest the living organism that is Venice.

And if that wasn't enough, it turned out that he was a musician, and a guitarist to boot. After we got back from dinner, we went to the garage and he and I and Leslie jammed. We started with him playing the riff from Enter Sandman, by the band Metallica. He and I (on drums), jammed on that for a bit, but I interrupted with the story of the guitar shop that I worked at during the summer after that song came out, where we had to post a sign that read, simply: "No Sandman," as that was the first riff played by an overwhelming number of our first time customers when testing a new guitar. I opined that their best work was well behind them, peaking at the release of their fourth studio record, And Justice For All , from 1988. He agreed, enthusiastically, and i knew I had found a musical comrade.

Now, I don't normally play hard rock (I play a mahogany Yamaha Stage Custom kit with a maple Pearl snare, which I find more conducive to a gentler groove). But that vibe was what stuck and I somehow hung in there while this guy laid out some 80's-infused metal licks, improvised little gems that kept us working with ears open and concentrated focus. Leslie soon joined us on a handy Dean Edge bass, she and I found the pocket, and the three of us fell together. Finest kind.

It's times like that when I remember what my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who heard Ferris say: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

3 Comments:

Suldog said...

"So we spent Saturday walking the strand in Venice Beach, showing our guest the living organism that is Venice."

Sweat I read that as "orgasm" at first. Perhaps that wouldn't be so bad, to live in such a place.

Nothing like jamming and finding the groove. Nothing. Not even living orgasms.

Anonymous said...

Your post WAS poetry ... made me wish I was there to hear the three of you jam.

---allen

Sharfa said...

Few are those moments in life, we are adept enough to recognize as precious.

You got Christmas early this year my friend.

Subscribe