Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.

3:32 PM

America

|

I'm a big fan of America. Always have been.

I use the word 'fan' the same way I use it if someone asked if I rooted for the Boston Red Sox - I'm a fan.

Now, being a fan doesn't mean you are necessarily blind. A fan of a baseball team, a true fan, will admit to their team's weaknesses. It's how we help the team - that's our job, as fans, to help the team. And if the team's star right-fielder isn't doing well, a true fan will admit that maybe they should bench him for a while, give him time to get his priorities straight, give him time to decide if he wants to give 100% for the team.

So when I say I'm a fan of America, I am a true fan. I believe in our country, in the concept of our country so strongly that I am comfortable in seeing our weaknesses.

And so, on this, our Nation's birthday, I call for all of us, community members, civic leaders, government officials, et al., to take a step back and truly evaluate our team, and to then step up to the microphone and speak candidly about our weaknesses. I ask this with the deepest of humility, with the utmost respect for America. And I ask this because it's high time we did it. It's high time our President stepped up and admitted that we have made mistakes. It's high time our Congressional leaders 'fessed up to all of our nation's past, not just the highlights. Because, while our team is great, we can do better.

2 Comments:

Dangermouse said...

I agree whole heartedly. If only their ego would step aside and let them...

Suldog said...

Stu:

As usual, you speak reasoned words of wisdom.

I hope your holiday was filled with good food, good people, and fun with both.

Subscribe