Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.

Just now listening to Governor Mitt Romney's speech in Texas. Wow.

I could mention many quotes from the speech which scare me, but for now, I'd like to concentrate on this one:

    "Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom. Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with G-d. Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone,"


Now, all of the readers of this blog know that I am a religious man, that I am a dedicated and devout Monotheist, specifically Jewish. So I have absolutely no reservation about a religious person being elected to the Presidency of The United States. However, I am also fully in support of people who do not have a faith, either through agnosticism or atheism. Anyone running for high office who openly declares "Freedom requires religion," is frightening. I'm cool with freedom. I'm cool with religion. But one should not depend on the other, neither should either one be forced down anyone's throat.

America has become a hungry lion, hiding in the costume of freedom.

My father fled Poland because Germany was a similarly hungry lion.

Where are we heading? Who are you supporting as the next occupant of The White House?

4 Comments:

Suldog said...

Agreed, Stu.

As you know, I'm a Christian. Honestly, given two otherwise equally charming candidates for office, if one is of similar beliefs to mine, that would tip the scales. However, I've never voted against anyone because of their religious beliefs or lack of same. I've supported atheists and agnostics, often with monetary contributions. I, too, find it troubling when people start somehow equating religious belief with freedom. MY freedom? Maybe. Freedom for all? Unlikely. And my G-d (OUR God, if I may be so bold) specifically granted us the freedom to choose Him or not.

Suldog said...

Ah. I try to do right by your site's use of the Deity's name with dashes, but I missed one. My apologies.

Amy said...

As non believer, I'm always reluctant when I see politicians invoke religion to justify their arguments. I believe it is possible to make moral decisions without invoking a diety, which is what I wish I had heard him say.

Not that I'd actually vote for him, mind you. I'm from Massachusetts, I make it a point of not voting for our presidential candidates.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Stu, I didn't know your Dad left Poland. I need to talk to you about something...

I am also a Christian. Catholic but only sorta practicing. The belief is still there, but this issues I have with my church's interpretation of things still remain.

Anyway, being of a religious faith or not is not how I elect folks. I guess, these days, I don't know who to vote for anymore. It doesn't seem like anyone tells the truth, or a consistent one. And some of the religious folks with zero tolerance scare the begeezes out of me.

If I remember anything, or believe in anything, it was that Jesus was one cool dude, who'd have never stood for people being closed minded. I think Christians forget that sometimes.

Subscribe