Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.

My bro and I were talking and the thought occurred to me: There are many historical speeches that are not widely known. Two of them are especially relevant today. One is an energy speech by Jimmy Carter, where he says, in part:

    Ten days ago, I had planned to speak to you again about a very important subject -- energy. For the fifth time I would have described the urgency of the problem and laid out a series of legislative recommendations to the Congress. But as I was preparing to speak, I began to ask myself the same question that I now know has been troubling many of you: Why have we not been able to get together as a nation to resolve our serious energy problem?

    It’s clear that the true problems of our nation are much deeper -- deeper than gasoline lines or energy shortages, deeper even than inflation or recession. And I realize more than ever that as President I need your help. So, I decided to reach out and to listen to the voices of America.


The second speech is the farewell address of President Eisenhower, who said, in part:

    This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence -- economic, political, even spiritual -- is felt in every city, every State house, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.


Think your deep thinks. Time is passing, out of your control. Now is the time, if you choose, to think of this planet, this country as yours, and to think of what you plan to do with her.

0 Comments:

Subscribe