Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.

Here are some of the artists and albums I've been listening to lately, in case you're looking for recommendations:

Joni Mitchell

Hejira

John Lennon
Walls And Bridges

Frank Zappa
Trance Fusion

Ulrich Schnauss
Far Away Trains Passing By

Daryl Hall & John Oates
Abandoned Luncheonette

Thievery Corporation
The Richest Man in Babylon

Boards of Canada
The Campfire Headphase

Hazmat Modine
Bahamut

The O'Jays
Back Stabbers

David Bowie
Hunky Dory

Vernon Reid
Mistaken Identity

Tom Waits
The Black Rider

Tito Puente
Mucho Puente

They Might Be Giants
Mink Car

Thelonious Monk
Thelonious Alone In San Francisco

The Orb
Orbus Terrarum

The Mars Volta
Deloused in the Comatorium

Talvin Singh
O.K.

Stan Getz
Quartets

Sigur Ros
( )

Scott Johnson

John Somebody

Robert Fripp
Exposure

Prince & The New Power Generation
Diamonds And Pearls

Oscar Peterson
Bursting Out

Orbital
Snivilisation

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
Night Song

Modern Jazz Quartet
Together Again

Miles Davis
In A Silent Way

Mike Keneally
Wooden Smoke

Liz Phair
whitechocolatespaceegg

Lester Young
The Masters Touch

Laurie Anderson
Live at Town Hall, NYC September 19-20, 2001

King Crimson

Discipline

Kenny Burrell
Midnight Blue

9 Comments:

cherylann said...

ooooh, they might be giants, bowie, and joni mitchell... *sigh* that's some good music. however, admitting that i like them makes me feel kinda old. well, i guess i am kinda old. dammit. ps- i like the o'jay's too.

Danger Mouse said...

I think I've said this before, but my wedding song is "First Kiss" off the Mink Car album. Hooray for no one ever being able to make us slow dance because no DJ's carry around TMBG!

Anonymous said...

Been listening to Vernon Reid as well. I saw him play in Los Angeles this summer and have been listening to his new CD "OTHER TRUE SELF" a fair amount since.

Stu said...

Hey CherylAnn,

Yes indeed, good music, comfort for the soul. But don't feel old because you like TMBG/Bowie/Joni. My cousin loves Bowie and he's 22 or so. You're only as old as you admit to yourself. (On the other hand, as Frank Zappa said, "Time is of affliction."

Stu said...

Flood is a great album, but Lincoln is better. Mink Car is also pretty excellent, as is Severe Tire Damage.

I'm a huge TMBG fan. I'm happy to discuss them at length.

Stu said...

DangerMouse,

First Kiss is a brilliant love song that never fails to get my wife and I to smile at each other.

You could tell me we belong together
And I could tell you you belong with me
But we've run out of things to say
And we'll be happy anyway so

Stu said...

Puff,

First, welcome to my blog and thanks for commenting.

Second, What was Vernon like live? I enjoy his ability to break away from the rock star path he was heading on to become eclectic and thoughtful and wild. I'm a big fan of his work with Bill Frisell (Bill Frisell is awesome)

Third, I don't have the new CD, although based upon your mention, I will remedy that soon enough!

Anonymous said...

since no one else has asked, any thoughts on "trance-fusion" (other than it's sort of neat that it actually came out for real)? i ordered it yesterday morning and am very much looking forward to it.

you're right, btw. "lincoln" is better than "flood".

Stu said...

To The House Of Mil,

I normally don't post about Zappa, which is a shame, as he is easily my favorite composer.

As for Trance Fusion, one of the Zappa albums released recently, I got my copy about a week ago and it is much better and more satisfying than the bits of the boot that I had on my iPod for the past few years.

It is wonderful, truly. It is too early to give a comprehensive review, as there are too many notes. But so far, it is deeply sad, angry, beautiful, and unlike "regular" Zappa records, as it is a little disjointed when listened to in one complete sitting. In other words, the album works just as well on shuffle play, compared with You Are What You Is or Joe's Garage.

Subscribe