Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.

I have this thing where I lose my appetite if I smell heavy cleaning products. For example, if I'm in a Burger King and I'm half-way through a Whopper (no cheese, extra onions) and one of the staff starts mopping, using Lysol or whatever, ugh, I can't eat. I feel like I'm eating a Whopper with Extra Lysol instead of Special Sauce. Ugh.

I was talking about it with Leslie, and I mentioned that I didn't feel too bad about being this way, as I wasn't alone, that there are many folks who see things as I do. She disagrees, asserting that I am unique in this way, that most folks (90% is her estimate) are cool with eating while smelling cleaning products.

Please, weigh in here. In which camp do you reside?

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a probem here.

Suldog said...

I'd rather NOT smell cleaning products while eating, but I can't say that I've ever had it take away my appetite completely.

Anonymous said...

suldog said it for me.

On the other hand, I once went to a Baja Fresh with my family and they had likely just cleaned the floors shortly before as there was a powerful odor of bleach in the air. It wasn't pleasant but all of our appetites remained intact. All, that is, except for my dad's.

He ate his meal, sure, but it was a sort of forced eating. That smell just overloaded his olfactory and turned his tastebuds to sawdust.

Stu said...

Thanks to all. I'm not commenting yet, as I don't want to influence anyone's position. Feel free to send this post's url to your friends, as I'd like to get a wide demo for this poll.

Thank goodness my wife loves my geekiness.

Danger Mouse said...

I don't like any other smells interfering with my foods. Mostly cigarette (or any kind of tobacco) smoke bothers me, but cleaning products are up there on the list. And yes, those smells may cause me to not finish my meal. Since taste and smell are related senses, your theory makes sense to me!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. Lysol, faugh. Bleach actually alters how I taste things for an hour or so after I get a heavy snort of it. And Windex, also not good.

What dangermouse said about the relationship of scent to taste, of course.

And I like stinky cheese and durian, so it's not just a problem with um unusual scents.

Sharfa said...

I'm with you Stu, and what Dangermouse said.

Subscribe