Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.

12:24 PM

Cajun Corn Soup

|

I know, this should be posted on my Cooking For Leslie blog, but I'm feeling needy, so I'm posting it here.

Cajun Corn Soup

I made Jambalaya for Leslie the other night. I wanted to add to the meal, so I thought a nice soup would complement it. My choice was Cajun Corn Soup, which was so similar to the Jambalaya, creating a feeling that maybe it wasn't the best choice.

Regardless, the soup was extraordinary, earning Leslie's highest praises. This earned a smile from me, and a blog post.

First, the ingredients:

Ingredients


1 cup Chopped onion
1 cup Chopped green pepper
2 pack Frozen whole kernel corn
6 Green onions, sliced
3/4 lb Fully cooked andouille/Cajun sausage
3 c Water
1 6 oz. can Tomato paste
1 14 oz. can stewed tomatoes
2 cups Chopped peeled tomatoes
Cayenne pepper to taste
Salt to taste
Hot pepper sauce to taste
File Gumbo powder to taste



Process

First, I sliced up the andouille sausage. My favorite way to do this is to freeze the sausage for five minutes, cut each one lengthwise, then, keeping the two sections together, slice in 3-7mm widths. Pour a little oil in a good pan and fry up the sausage.

Then I set the sausage aside. I took out a large soup pot and put in some oil, coating the bottom. Next I added both types of onion and the green pepper. Got those soft (barely soft) and then I added some flour, coating the mixture liberally. I kept that going for a bit, but not really browning it too much. Next I added the tomato paste, both types of tomatoes, and the water. I mixed that, then let it sit for a few minutes. Then I added the sausage and the corn. Mixed it up, let it come to a boil, lowered the heat, added the spices, and let it cook for an hour.

Crusty bread goes best with this soup. I prefer sourdough.

4 Comments:

Suldog said...

Stu - Do you have a preferred brand of tomato paste? Or, for that matter, canned tomatoes, period?

Lately, when cooking up a sauce or something else involving tomatoes, I've found that I enjoy the canned plum tomatoes from... and now the brand name is slipping my mind. Rienta? Rienza?

In any case, the plum tomatoes have become my faves.

Stu said...

I do not have a favorite. In fact, now that I think of it, I bought store-brand tomatoes (even the paste, I think)... I could buy a brand name, but how different could it be, especially when they will then be cooked for an hour or two. I like certain brands for certain functions, like Barilla pasta and Prego tomato sauce (the best starter sauce there is)... If you like, I'll post my Jambalaya recipe. As for the soup recipe, be prepared to give it several tries before you hone in on what suits your tastes. There are so many variables, like how much corn, how much water, how much filet gumbo powder, how much Pepper sauce (and whose)... Good luck and good eating!

Suldog said...

I LOVE JAMBALAYA! Please post!

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

Subscribe