Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.

2:46 PM

No Dice

|

I am sitting at my desk, which is in our bedroom, typing at my iMac, thinking of all the support and love I've received over the past day or so. Thank you all for being so cool.

Now, down to business - What happened to the disk in the freezer?

Nothing.

I went out yesterday and bought a MyBook 500Gig drive. (That is wholly another post)

Today, I cleaned my desk, reformatted the new drive (they come as a Windows ready volume), and prepped to take the LaCie out of the freezer.

Amazingly, the LaCie came up just as before... in other words, it survived the freezer just fine. However, I still can't get any standard Mac utility to acknowledge that the drive exists, nor can I get Unix to do anything other than tell me what it told me before, which is that the disk is neither mountable nor unmountable, and it still only sees the one directory that it saw before.

While the freezer experiment was, pardon the pun, cool, it got me nowhere.

So my next step was to put my iMac into Single User Mode (which turns my Mac into a Unix terminal) and then run a utility called fsck (and let me tell you, that's a set of letters that you have to be careful with when you type, hahaha)... Anyway, fsck is a Unix application that checks your disk. Unfortunately, I am now at the peak of my Unix knowledge, so the rest I tried from printouts of info that's out on the 'net. As such, I could run fsck to check the good drives, but not the bad drive. Why? I have no idea. I am way out of my league here.

It's possible that someone will walk me through fsck (and for those people who are Unix geeks, I know, it's fsck_hfs) and help me save the data on this drive, but I'm not holding my breath for more than another week or two.

Again, thanks. Every single one of you readers is a gem to me. Really. You're all fabulous.

3 Comments:

Stu said...

Which is why I didn't say that they were all officially fabulous. Although now I'm going to say that, with the exception of Mr. Fabulous, you are all officially wonderful!

:-p

cherylann said...

ouch... all that computer talk hurts my brain. me = compter jargon illiterate. (i know that doesn't make any sense, but it works... sorta). good luck.

oh, and i know you post semi regularly. most people on my blogroll do, but i was talking about daily. yeah, and stop getting into my head (re: comment on fab's post)!

Anonymous said...

Major bummer. Wish I'd kept up on my unix/linux studies so I could lend you a hand.

Subscribe