Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.


David Beckham is coming to town! I mean, it's not Wayne Gretzky, but it's pretty darned excellent, especially economically.

Here's the rest of the story, from my local paper, The Daily Breeze:


Beckham signs deal to play with L.A. Galaxy


Updated, 6:45 p.m.
Soccer player, sex symbol, cultural icon, celebrity personified. Now we are about to find out exactly how big David Beckham is. Can the man behind a $250 million payday transform the sport?
By The Associated Press

David Beckham, the former England soccer captain known as much for his style as his play, has agreed to leave Real Madrid and join the Los Angeles Galaxy in a deal Major League Soccer hopes will boost the sport in the United States in a manner similar to Pele's arrival with the Cosmos in 1975.

Find the rest of the story by clicking this link!

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, my boss is a big soccer fan and his kid Jeremy is big into playing it. So, a lot of the buzz around the office has been all about Beckham's move to the Galaxy. I imagine he'll be making a lot of use of those Home Depot and Staples Center booths in upcoming games :-D

Suldog said...

How do the Galaxy draw, Stu? Soccer is not as big a deal here in New England as it is in your neck of the woods, so the Revolution are still 6th or 7th in the sports pages pecking order despite their on-field successes, but they draw fairly well from the Portuguese and Hispanic communities in SE Mass and RI.

Melinda said...

I think lots of people will pay lots of money to go and see Beckham. I can't believe how much money they're paying for him to be there, considering that England and the rest of Europe was not interested in having him play for them at all.

Who knows though? He'll probably create more interest in soccer in the USA - while his wife shops and parties with Jennifer Lopez and Britney Spears. This couple is definitely a perfect fit for Hollywood. Wonder if they'll keep their place in London... I'd be more than happy to house-sit for them ;)

Stu said...

Mr. Fabulous,

Uh, well, yeah. He's hot. I'm ok with my feelings on that one.

Stu said...

James,

Oh heck yeah. I think this is so exciting. I mean, we play AYSO soccer at house, for years. And even though my son passed up the offer from me of season tickets (as he's not a fan of the Galaxy or of David Beckham), we're still very pleased that soccer is getting so much attention.

Stu said...

Suldog,

Good question, I don't know. We've never been to see the Galaxy. We watch a lot on tv, especially as my son begged me to get the special sports package, just so he could get the two soccer channels (two channels devoted entirely to soccer, wow)...

As for soccer being big here, my kids are both of Mexican descent, so I see the cultural side of things. I'm glad for them, because I think it's good to have some connection to your past.

Stu said...

Melinda,

As to his new salary, he isn't getting as much as he'll help to bring in. Because in Los Angeles, it's all about celebrity. So it's like getting Sheryl Crow to play for your softball team. If you pay her a little extra, you're getting your money's worth because you'll sell way more hot dogs and beer.

As for your second paragraph, you are hilarious!

Subscribe