Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.

As President Bush will be moving out of The White House, he'll need new digs. Looks like he and his wife have settled on a rather well-to-do section of Dallas, Texas - a community called Preston Hollow. Originally incorporated as a municipality in 1939 and provisioned by the Preston Road Fresh Water Supply District, the town of Preston Hollow was named for the deep wooded area with creeks and hollows extending westward from Preston Road. Sounds pretty, doesn't it?

And to keep it pretty, Preston Hollow has a neighborhood association. This association creates rules on items like building materials, construction distances from property lines, and, oh yeah, that only white people can live there.

I'm not kidding. From 1956, when the neighborhood covenant was created, until the year 2000, the following text was in the document: "Said property shall be used and occupied by white persons only except these covenants shall not prevent occupancy by domestic servants of a different race or nationality in the employ of a tenant." (for the full photocopy of the covenant, click here.

So, um, yeah, that's the President Of The United States. Interesting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

THat really sucks because up until this very moment i had the utmost respect for Mrs. Bush. Whatever my opinions are on her husband I held her in the highest esteem. This makes me very sad...

Dave Mark said...

Just to give some perspective on this, that type of language is actually much more common than you might think. For example, there are many houses in Arlington, Virginia that have that language in their deeds. The language is a racist holdover that most homeowners are likely not aware of unless they read their original deeds. As much as I dislike Mr. Bush, I would be willing to bet that with a little effort, you could find similar claims against many prominent democrats. It is up to the house purchaser to make sure they read their deeds and make the changes. Personally, I can't understand how a county could allow the language to languish.

My 2 cents...

-- Dave

Subscribe