Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.

I had to wait a while to write publicly about California's Prop 8, which is now law - "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California." - I was way too mad for a while - I couldn't put together coherent thoughts about this without veering off into a profanity-laced diatribe.

I don't know where all of you sit on this topic, so allow me to speak to the folks who agree with our new law:

Folks, this thing about gay marriage - is it because of The Bible (or The Torah) or is there another reason? - Me, I'm fine with religious beliefs. I respect them. I have them. But I'm not under the slightest misconception that my beliefs should be turned into public law. What is the difference between Americans who are in favor of a faith-based law and citizens of Saudi Arabia who embrace Sharia, law based upon the strict adherence to The Koran? If you live under Sharia, you can be put to death for homosexuality. Isn't outlawing homosexual marriage a clear example of the slippery slope?

And to look at this from a different angle, why do bible devotees think that some bible is to be strictly followed (no to homosexuality, no to blasphemy, no to vulgarity, no to prostitution) and some bible is ok to challenge (slavery is ok in the bible)...

My point is that religious fundamentalism should be anathema in this country. We must not allow religion to be a basis for a single law. And until science shows me that homosexual marriage will lead to anything, even psoriasis, let's leave it alone.

5 Comments:

Dave Mark said...

Amen, brother...

Mark Rosera said...

I was surprised at the election in CA as well. You've really tarnished the reputation of CA. People in CA LOVE gay people. Why did you avocado-slaughterers do that? Did you forget that The Castro is still a part of the State? One step forward, two steps backward. Well, Vegas isn't that far away - "The grass is always greener. . . "

Anonymous said...

Oy...

I was quite surprised at the outcome of Prop 8 - as I know many others outside of Cali were.

Living where I do, sadly, I already know that it will be a long time before gay marriage will be legal here. However, I had hoped that your state would lead the nation by recognizing that two people - any two people - can be married.

All religious notions aside, what we are talking about is the idea that only hetero couples can commit to, well, commitment. And that just isn't true.

And as far as religion goes... all I have to say is this: I *do* believe in G_d. I also believe that the Bible is supposed to give us information on how to live, via the stories and tales within - but they were never meant to be taken as literally as some Christians have, and used as "law". Can you tell I'm Episcopalian? :) (The Torah is, as I understand it, a different thing from the Bible, and I am not at all qualified to address it's significance in this discussion.)

I have (and alway have had) many gay friends. I believe that not only should they be allowed to marry, but they should have no barriers to adoption, either.

Love is love, no matter where it comes from.

Anonymous said...

As a gay man, I feel embarrassed that we would even need to have this on the ballot. I can love the way I want to, I can live the way I feel without help from any legislation or religion. That is why I love this country. Please everyone, put away the hate and let this issue go. The gay community is fine without the need to "validate" this by anyone. Long live democracy!

P.S. Persecuting ANY person OR religion for it's beliefs is shameful for ALL of us.

Allen

Anonymous said...

Let it be stated unequivocally: The radical Gay attack on the Mormons is the shot over the bow against the United States of America . There was a time when what a man did in his bedroom was sanctified between himself and G-d. Now we are being served an "in-your-face" smorgasbord of smut and licentiousness as being between people who only "want their civil rights." 


Hogwash! We are dealing with the equivalent of a moral takeover of the country that has as its bedrock a belief in G-d and His promise for humanity. They don't want civil rights! What they desire is quasi Gay/Lesbian hegemony, where a huge "bookburning," reminiscent of the Nazis, will purge any remnants of the "Christian, White, mainstream America " that has given ALL AMERICANS the most profound scope of freedom, liberty, and justice that Mankind has yet to experience.

Rabbi Shifren

Subscribe