Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.

I ran cross-country and track in high school, and while I wasn't very good (my best time for the 5K was 20:30), I was a huge fan of the sport. I would spend serious tv time, watching every track meet that was on, no matter how small. My heros back then included Alberto Salazar, Greta Wietz, Mary Decker, Eamonn Coghlan (who, in 1983, set the indoor mile world record at 3:49, which stood for 15 years), and others.

To run the 100 meters in under 10 seconds is alone a pretty amazing thing. Usain Bolt ran it in 9.69, a world record. Oh, and he's 21. Oh, and when he saw that he would win, with a third of the distance still remaining, he stopped trying, relaxed his arms, then raised them in triumph, all before he crossed the finish line. Oh, and he did it with one shoe untied.

Needless to say, I am pretty psyched. Not just because of this awesome story, but because I am confident that he will beat his standing time of 9.69 - and if my math is even close, it's possible that he could beat 9.6 seconds for the hundred meters, a feat seemingly impossible before this year.

Makes me want to get out on the pavement and run.

Almost.

1 Comments:

Suldog said...

Yeah, "Lightning" Bolt is one of the most amazing athletes I've seen in a long while. I can see him conceivably busting 9 seconds if he just plain went all out and ran THROUGH the finish. Unreal.

Subscribe