Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.

This really does leave me a little surprised. Apparently, Andrew Young, shilling for WalMart (in the official position of Chairman for the company "Working Families For Wal-Mart"), suggested that Wal-Mart should force "Mom And Pop" stores to close, because these stores were not good for the neighborhood, because these stores sold inferior products. Well, that's what he wanted to say. Except that's not really what he said. What he said was, "...they ran the `mom and pop' stores out of my neighborhood,"..."But you see, those are the people who have been overcharging us, selling us stale bread and bad meat and wilted vegetables. And they sold out and moved to Florida. I think they've ripped off our communities enough. First it was Jews, then it was Koreans and now it's Arabs; very few black people own these stores."

Wow.

I am ok with Wal-Mart taking the position that they are making a community better by providing quality products at cheaper prices. (I don't like Wal-Mart at all, because they intentionally drive smaller stores out of business, but I get that this is their rational, and I they have the right to defend themselves.) But Andrew Young, um, sorry, that should be Civil Rights Leader Andrew Young is suggesting that the small stores were intentionally ripping people off, specifically stores that were run by Jews and Koreans and Arabs (and that black people are exempt from this evil group). Uh, that's just a *little* bit prejudiced, right?

Please let us not forget that in 1979, while United States Ambassador to the United Nations, he met with the PLO, despite the official policy of the administration at the time.

**UPDATE**

The website for Working Families For Wal-Mart has cleansed their current pages of references to Mr. Young, but I found the cached version of the Andrew Young page on Google. I can't wait to see if Aaron McGruder references this in Boondocks.

3 Comments:

Sharfa said...

I hate, hate hate Wallyworld! Walmart just wants all the "Jews and Koreans and Arabs" to have to go work for them. It's an evil empire vying for world domination. I see a future where all restaraunts are Taco Bell and everything else is Walmart. Kill me now.

Stu said...

"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells!"

Yeah, I hear you, except I think Wal-Mart has reached the tipping point. More and more communities are refusing their advances. There is hope.

Sharfa said...

nice. glad you got the reference.

Subscribe