Stu News and Photos

My name is Stu and I am here to share what I can.

8:27 AM

My First Friend

|

Mike and I met in 1973 or there abouts. We possibly knew of each other while in separate first grade classes, but definitely became official friends in 2nd grade, Mrs. Weiss's class. Now he's a staff engineer for ABC and the on-air floor audio tech for The View. As such, he's in New York (and as you may know, I'm in California), so we don't see each other often.

However, I got a call yesterday that he was in town, so I ran down to his hotel (where he's spending a bit of time visiting his girlfriend, who is working on the legal defense of a person that I can't mention, as the trial will take place here and I shouldn't spoil the process with inside scoop. I can say that the person in question is known in this country as a celebrated figure, but that's all I can say.)

He looks great (I forgot my good camera, so we had to settle for the mobile phone cam and three seconds of cleanup in iPhoto). He used to be a professional musician and recording engineer, then found his way to live audio support, which got him work at HBO and other New York studios. Eventually, he did some work for ABC, which got him exposure to the decision-makers, who dig his stuff. Now he's an official ABC tech, though hardly any of those folks get a credit at the end of each show, save the Christmas edition, when they run everyone's name.

My point in all this is simple: Growing up happens very quickly, so be careful to look around a bit on the way, or you might miss it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

For a phone camera, that's a great picture!

I hope you get to spend some time together before he has to go back East!

T. :)

Suldog said...

How interesting, Stu. I started writing a piece, yesterday, about my recent dinner with my oldest continuing friend. We must have some sort of psychic bond :-) I'm afraid my piece won't be ready for some time, but I felt the need to comment on the coincidence, anyway.

Anonymous said...

You made me miss my best friend from elementary school. Hope you guys had fun catching up!

Anonymous said...

terrific to see mike!!!! he looks great! so fun!

Amanda said...

That snuck up on me. Thanks for the reminder to slow down, or at least keep up.

Subscribe